If you've ever taken a biology class, you'll probably have heard of "evolutionary adaptation", "communities", "intraspecific competition", "commensalism" and other like terms that describe where certain organisms fit into the big picture. The spider dwelling on the wall behind your computer, for instance, is an small, eight-legged arthropod of the class arachnida. It is an insectivore, and like any other organism, plays a specific role in the local ecosystem (your basement).
But consider this: Where do you fit in? Where do humans fit in? Have we truly risen above the laws of nature? Are we exceptional beings destined to rule the planet, or are we just bundles of genetic material?
But before we address those questions, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Ari, an 18-year old student in his senior year of high school. I've been interested in science and the natural world for as long as I can remember. I delight in observing nature, which has led to a lifelong passion for birds, insects, and other forms of life. In addition to this, my academic background has brought me knowledge and a keen interest in the world of humanities. By writing this blog, I hope to blend these diverse interests and find common ground between nature and the humanities.
The main question I'll be addressing is what role nature, biology, and our own evolutionary background play in people's everday lives. What is instinctual, and what is learned? Which behaviors and habits of ours have their roots in evolution? What is the connection between humans and nature? How does nature affect the human mindset?
With newfound concepts and fields of study such as eco-psychology, perhaps there are answers to these fundamental questions.
Anyways, enough of that. Happy blogging!
-Ari
No comments:
Post a Comment